How to implement a winning subscription strategy for your sports club
Learn from the success of Norwegian football clubs and discover how to implement a winning subscription strategy that will boost fan engagement and drive ticket sales.
Traditionally, sports fans have purchased tickets for individual matches. This can be inconvenient and expensive, especially for fans who want to attend multiple matches. Subscription models offer a more convenient and affordable option for fans, while also providing clubs with a number of benefits.
Benefits for Sports Clubs:
Increased attendance: Subscription models can help clubs to increase attendance by making it easier and more affordable for fans to attend matches.
Stronger fan bases: Subscriptions can help clubs to build stronger relationships with their fans by providing them with a more personalised experience. For example, clubs can offer exclusive benefits to subscribers, such as early access to tickets, discounts on merchandise, and behind-the-scenes content.
More sustainable revenue streams: Subscriptions provide clubs with a more sustainable and predictable revenue stream. This is because clubs can count on a regular income from subscribers, regardless of how many tickets they sell for individual matches.
How to implement a winning subscription strategy
If you're thinking about implementing a subscription model for your football club, here are a few tips:
- Start by doing your research. Take the time to learn about the different types of subscription models and what other clubs are doing.
- Segment your audience. Consider who you want to reach with your subscriptions and tailor your offerings accordingly. For example, you may want to offer different subscription packages for families, young professionals, and die-hard fans.
- Competitive pricing for your subscriptions. Do your research to see what other clubs are charging for their subscriptions. You want to make sure your subscriptions are affordable, but you also don't want to undervalue your product.
- User friendly sign up. The subscription process should be as simple and straightforward as possible. Fans should be able to sign up for a subscription on your website with just a few clicks.
- Run heavy promotion for your subscriptions. Let your fans know about your new subscription service and all the benefits it has to offer. You can promote your subscriptions through your website, social media, and email marketing campaigns.
Offer a variety of subscription options. Give fans the option to choose from different subscription lengths, price points, and benefits packages. This will allow you to appeal to a wider range of fans.
User friendly subscription management. Allow fans to easily update their payment information, change their subscription plan, or cancel their subscription at any time. This will give fans the flexibility they need and encourage them to keep their subscriptions.
Remember to reward loyalty. Offer subscribers exclusive discounts and promotions to encourage them to renew their subscriptions. You could also offer a rewards program where subscribers earn points for attending matches, purchasing merchandise, and other activities. This will show your fans that you value their support and help to build stronger relationships with them.
By following these tips, you can implement a winning subscription strategy that will help you to boost fan engagement, drive ticket sales, and build a more sustainable future for your football club.
Personalise the experience. Make fans feel like valued members of your club by offering them personalised benefits and experiences. For example, you could send subscribers birthday messages, invite them to exclusive events, or give them early access to new merchandise.
Partner with other businesses. Offer your subscribers exclusive discounts and benefits from other businesses in your local community. This will add value to your subscription offering and make it even more attractive to fans.
Continuously evolve and improve. The subscription landscape is constantly changing, so it's important to continuously evolve and improve your offerings to meet the needs of your fans. For example, you could offer new subscription options, add new benefits, or partner with new businesses.
By following these tips, you can create a subscription strategy that will help you to achieve your business goals and create a better experience for your fans.
Want to dig deeper into season ticket subscription strategies? In the webinar Why Norwegian football has increased its ticket sales and how clubs can copy their success we're doing just that. In this webinar Thomas Torjusen, Head of Media, Technology and Chief Digital Officer at the Norwegian Professional Football League (NPFL), will take us through what he and his organisation together with the clubs have done to achieve record numbers across the league.